I have been making this side dish for many years and it is always a hit with my family and guests. It is a great one pot side dish which is very quick and simple to pull together. I recommend prepping the butternut squash ahead of time (even a few days ahead) and then it will only take 10 minutes to pull together and 20 minutes to cook. This recipe serves 4-6 people as a hearty side dish to roasted or braised chicken or even lamb.
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 cup coarsely chopped peeled butternut squash
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 finely chopped jalapeno pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 3 cardamom pods
- 1 cup homemade chicken broth
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed clean
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Heat coconut oil in a saucepan (that has a cover) over medium-high heat. Add squash and next 6 ingredients (squash through spices); sauté 5 minutes. Stir in broth, quinoa, and salt; bring to a boil.
Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20-25 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed.
you might also like
Latest posts by Lindsey Gremont (see all)
- [VIDEO TUTORIAL]: 3 Homemade Chest Rubs for Daily Wellness - September 16, 2015
- VIDEO: How to use a Pressure Cooker to make dinner a snap! - August 28, 2015
- Homemade Einkorn Brownies - August 23, 2015