I have been making this side dish for many years and it is always a hit with my family and guests. It is a great one pot side dish which is very quick and simple to pull together. I recommend prepping the butternut squash ahead of time (even a few days ahead) and then it will only take 10 minutes to pull together and 20 minutes to cook. This recipe serves 4-6 people as a hearty side dish to roasted or braised chicken or even lamb.
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 cup coarsely chopped peeled butternut squash
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 finely chopped jalapeno pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 3 cardamom pods
- 1 cup homemade chicken broth
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed clean
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Heat coconut oil in a saucepan (that has a cover) over medium-high heat. Add squash and next 6 ingredients (squash through spices); sauté 5 minutes. Stir in broth, quinoa, and salt; bring to a boil.
Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20-25 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed.Homemade Mommy Beauty Essentials. Get 35 DIY Beauty recipes that you can use everyday and learn all about how to use and care for your essential oils!
Latest posts by Lindsey Gremont (see all)
- 10 Uses for Melaleuca alternifolia (tea tree) Essential Oil - November 17, 2014
- Sour Cream Chocolate Cupcakes with Pumpkin Frosting - October 27, 2014
- Easy Homemade Stain Remover - October 26, 2014