There are ways to keep your digestive system healthy to strengthen your defenses. I know we will be working on prevention in the coming weeks!
Step 1: Eat and drink fermented foods
Fermented foods help populate your digestive tract with healthy bacteria. The good bugs crowd out the bad bugs so to speak. Milk kefir, water kefir, kombucha, and fermented condiments and vegetables all contain bacteria that promote a healthy immune system.
If you do happen to get sick despite your efforts, it is time for some home remedies.
Step 2: Home remedies
Once persistent vomiting has stopped, stay hydrated
- Coconut water is high in electrolytes. Take a small sip at regular intervals to start with and progressively move up to larger amounts.
- Reach for Ginger Kombucha instead of canned Ginger Ale which is likely only ginger artificially ‘flavored’ and full of HFCS these days. Ginger is great for nausea and kombucha is packed with probiotics.
- Once you are able to start eating again, start with good old bone broth. Bone broth contains vitamins, minerals, amino acids and gelatin. My bone broth ‘tea’ recipe would be a great one to sip throughout recovery.
Homeopathy and Essential Oils
- Homeopathic Nux Vomica is very helpful at the first sign of any tummy trouble.
- EO remedies – You can use ginger, oregano, mountain savory, clove, lemon, peppermint or nutmeg oils by rubbing them on the stomach.
- Or use an essential oil blend like DiGize and rub 6-10 drops on your stomach area. DiGize can be a very warming oil so, for children, I make a blend to dilute the DiGize with a carrier oil. I do about 1 tsp sweet almond oil or olive oil to 1 drop of DiGize in a roll-on bottle.
Step 3: Clean up!
But avoid toxic cleaners
- Wash hands with this easy homemade soap
- Keep surfaces clean this homemade spray
Pin it here!
you might also like
Latest posts by Lindsey Gremont (see all)
- VIDEO: How to use a Pressure Cooker to make dinner a snap! - August 28, 2015
- Homemade Einkorn Brownies - August 23, 2015
- Homemade No-Frizz Hair Styling Whip - June 16, 2015