Looking for a crockpot recipe with bold flavors? Try this crockpot chipotle chicken recipe!
I have tried to make many crockpot recipes and frankly, not many have the bold flavor I crave. This isn’t your ordinary crockpot chicken, but I know you will love it as much as we did!
The best thing about this recipe is that you can throw in the chicken whole – no worries about having to cut it into pieces. You can prep the onions and other ingredients the night before and then just dump everything in the crockpot as you run out the door for work.
Crockpot Chipotle Chicken
- 1 pastured whole chicken, defrosted if frozen
- 4 medium yellow onions, sliced
- 5-7 whole garlic cloves, peeled
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric (where to buy)
- 1 Tbsp raw honey (where to buy)
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar (where to buy)
- 2-4 large chipotle chilies (in adobo sauce), chopped (I bought some locally but you can make your own or buy it in a can here)
- 2 Tbsp adobo sauce, reserved from the chilies above
Season the chicken on both sides with salt and fresh ground black pepper. Then, sprinkle on the paprika and turmeric as well.
Place the whole chicken in the crockpot (I put the breast side down to keep it from drying out).
Drizzle the honey on top of the bird. Pour in the apple cider vinegar. Spread the chipotle chile pieces on top of the chicken and then pour on the adobo sauce. Toss in the garlic cloves. Place the onion slices on top of the chicken to cover it.
Cover the crockpot with the lid and turn it on. You can cook on low for 8-10 hours. When you get home the onions will have created a beautiful broth around the chicken.
Pin it here!
You will not believe how much broth this recipe creates and how delicious it is! The chicken should be so tender it literally falls off of the bone. I served this with rice and sautéed spinach. You can also serve with potatoes or sweet potatoes. It was truly divine! I also want to note that I made this exact same recipe with a grass fed beef chuck roast the following week and it was equally delicious! Win Win! Enjoy!Homemade Mommy Beauty Essentials. Get 35 DIY Beauty recipes that you can use everyday and learn all about how to use and care for your essential oils!
Latest posts by Lindsey Gremont (see all)
- Homemade Aftershave - December 3, 2014
- Immune Boosting Travel Swab - November 29, 2014
- 10 Uses for Melaleuca alternifolia (tea tree) Essential Oil - November 17, 2014