Homemade Bug Repellent Gel

New to Essential Oils? Sign up for a FREE 14 day e-Course and email series to walk you through the basics! Register now for FREE here!

Homemade Bug Repellent Gel | www.homemademommy.net

Looking for a natural way to repel mosquitoes then read on to get an amazing homemade bug repellent gel recipe that is super easy to make and super portable!

It is that time of year again…you know…when you want to take a walk after dinner but you can’t because you will end up with like 15 itchy bites? Yep…mosquito season. Mosquitos are brutal here in Austin, TX. Brutal!

I posted a recipe last year for a bug repellent lotion bar. And while I love this recipe, I wanted something that was a bit easier to apply. I know I could easily create a bug spray but I find it hard to carry around a glass spray bottle. I am always afraid I am going to drop it or that it is going to leak in my purse. So, I came up with something a little different.

It is time for a homemade bug repellent gel!

All the same natural non-toxic bug repellent ingredients using essential oils but a bit easier to manage than a spray when you are out and about. It is really nice to be able to throw one of these into my purse and to keep one near our patio. The gel consistency is very easy to apply as well!

Homemade Bug Repellent Gel Recipe

Ingredients

Directions

Blend ingredients together until well combined. Pour into a tube with a flip top lid. Use all over the skin to keep bugs away.

I am carrying this around with me wherever I go now! We are ready for those nasty mosquitos with this non-toxic homemade bug repellent!

Pin it here!

Homemade Bug Repellent Gel | www.homemademommy.net

Click here to +1 this post!

I am a very busy real food mama! When I am not taking care of my 5 year old, I take time to share my real food recipes on my blog, Homemade Mommy. I finds the time for homemade cooking because eating this way has truly changed my family’s life. Ditching processed food has helped us all to heal from a number of ailments including asthma, allergies, recurrent sinus infections and ADHD. I buy organic, from family farms, local and grass-fed. I am passionate about achieving vibrant health and am happy to share tips, techniques and recipes in my eBook, The Real Food Survival Guide for Busy Moms which is an excellent resource for any busy mom (or dad) who wants to cook real food for their family but is not sure how to take the plunge.

21 Responses to Homemade Bug Repellent Gel

1. Felicia says:

Do the EO’s breakdown the silicone? Is it ok to use these with the EO’s?

Thanks for the input.

2. Michelle says:

What does it feel like when it does on your skin? I thought Aloe gel would be almost sticky or filmy.

3. Laura says:

is this safe to use on infants?

4. Bree says:

Is it safe to use on dogs?

5. Rebecca says:

Curious…why does it not have to be in a glass container like the other oil mixtures?

6. Charlotte says:

This looks like it could be a good alternative to a spray. However, when I went to the link for the aloe vera, the company recommends refrigeration.

7. Hello there! I am curious- does one need to be cautious when using this if they’re out in the sun a lot? I know Thieves blend has Lemon oil in it and lemon is photo sensitive. Are the others enough with the Aloe Vera for this to not be a problem?

8. […] Lice Prevention Spray Natural Tick Repellant 3-Ingredient DIY Natural Bug Repellant Homemade Bug Repellant Gel Bug Repellant Lotion […]

9. Lolo says:

I make my own aloe vera gel, I need to keep it in the fridge, do you think it would work for this recipe?

10. […] Lice Treatment with Essential Oils Natural Tick Repellant 3-Ingredient DIY Natural Bug Repellant Homemade Bug Repellant Gel Bug Repellant Lotion […]

11. Stephanie says:

I don’t have Lemongrass oil, but I do have the others…is it ok to omit that ingredient?

12. Sharon Weil says:

I made the recipe and put it in the same Toob you used then let it sit for 2 weeks on my desk (didn’t need it). When I went to use it finally, I saw that some mold had developed in it.
    I bought my aloe vera gel at Whole Foods, and it does say it needs to be refrigerated after opening, so I’m wondering if that’s what caused the mold. Has anyone else had problems with this?

13. Shannon says:

I seem to have an allergy to aloe vera – it always makes my skin feel like it’s burning. Do you think this would work with coconut oil or shea butter, or something like them? My second daughter reacts horribly to mosquito bites – they welt up to the size of a quarter – so I would really like to be able to use something like this on her!