I got to thinking – why not ferment hummus? Sure why not? So I did it and it tasted great! It was a real winner with my husband and daughter. I have been experimenting much more with vegetarian recipes because I have to send in vegetarian lunches to my daughter’s new school. So here we go – fermented hummus it is!
Fermented Hummus Recipe
- 4 cups cooked chickpeas (recipe here for basic cooked chick peas)
- 2 Tbsp ghee
- 1/4 cup cold pressed extra-virgin olive oil (where to buy quality oils)
- 3 Tbsp tahini (where to buy)
- 3 cloves garlic (I used my fermented garlic I had on hand)
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp salt (where to buy salt)
- 1/4 cup chickpea cooking liquid (see below – used to thin out the hummus)
- 1/4 liquid whey (how to make whey)
Puree all of the ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Put into a jar and leave out to ferment for about 7-10 hours. Then refrigerate! You can eat it at any time!
you might also like
Real Food Survival Guide e-Book - Get Instant Access!
Subscribe for instant access to my free ebook, Real Food Survival Guide for Busy Moms. I'll also send you real food recipes, wellness tips, exclusive discounts and coupons.