This is just one of the many recipes I feature in my new eBook, The Real Food Survival Guide for Busy Moms. Have you checked it out yet?
My husband loves ketchup so I am searching for a good homemade fermented recipe that he will like. He did NOT like the Nourishing Traditions cookbook version. I have modified a version I saw on the Nourishing and Nurtured blog.
My husband and toddler love this version! I increased the amount of honey in the recipe to ensure it was sweet enough. I even liked it and I don’t like ketchup. It is worth making vs. buying at the store – fermented means that it is has healthy probiotics so it is basically like eating yogurt with your fries or burger – really good for your digestion and belly!
- Three 7-oz jars/cans of tomato paste
- 1/3 cup raw honey
- 3 Tb raw apple cider vinegar
- 3 small garlic cloves, pressed
- 6 Tb sauerkraut juice (preferred) or whey (liquid whey from draining whole milk yogurt)
- 2 1/4 tsp finely ground salt
- pinch cayenne pepper
- Equipment needed: one fermenting jar
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl (if using a quart mason jar, you can save on dirty dishes by mixing this up directly in the jar). Stir well to combine
- Ensure that the top of the ketchup is at least 1-inch below the top of the jar(s).
- Using a clean cloth or paper towel, wipe the top of the jar above the ketchup clean.
- Put lid on jar and leave at room temperature for 3 days; then transfer to the refrigerator.
Like this recipe? Pin it here!
Further Reading from Around the Web
- What are Fermented Foods?
- 30 Day Fermented Foods Challenge
- Before Pepsi, Nitrates and Refrigerators…
- Deep Nutrition
More ketchup recipes here!
- Homemade Lacto-Fermented Ketchup
- Homemade Ketchup
- Almost Sugar-Free Ketchup
- Homemade French Fries and Ketchup
you might also like
Latest posts by Lindsey Gremont (see all)
- [VIDEO TUTORIAL]: 3 Homemade Chest Rubs for Daily Wellness - September 16, 2015
- VIDEO: How to use a Pressure Cooker to make dinner a snap! - August 28, 2015
- Homemade Einkorn Brownies - August 23, 2015