I adapted this recipe from Elana’s Pantry blog but I adjusted it to skip the agave and grapeseed oil both of which we avoid to only use real food ingredients. This is a fairly easy grain free cake recipe that also includes beets which are in abundance pretty often here in Central Texas. It is dense like a flour-less chocolate torte should be and it has an earthiness sweetness from the beets and the honey.
- 2 ½ cups grated beets (I grated in the food processor using the grater attachment)
- 1 cup raw honey
- 4 pastured eggs
- ½ cup coconut oil or grass fed butter (melted) or ghee – where to buy quality fats
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- ½ cup cacao powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt – where to buy salt
- In a medium saucepan, heat the beets and honey to a boil, then cover
- Reduce to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes, until beets are soft
- Transfer beet-honey mixture to a food processor and puree until smooth
- Blend in eggs, coconut oil, vanilla, almond extract, cacao and salt until thoroughly incorporated
- Pour batter into a well greased 9-inch cake or tart pan
- Bake at 350° for 30-40 minutes until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean
- Cool and serve
Photo credit: thepinkpeppercorn, on flickr
This post is featured on Fat Tuesday, Fill Those Jars Friday, Fight Back Friday, Whole Food Friday, Freaky Friday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays, Melt in Your Mouth Mondays, Whole Food Wednesday, Real Food Wednesday, Tastetastic Thursday, Full Plate Thursday, Pennywise Platter
you might also like
Real Food Survival Guide e-Book - Get Instant Access!
Subscribe for instant access to my free ebook, Real Food Survival Guide for Busy Moms. I'll also send you real food recipes, wellness tips, exclusive discounts and coupons.