I have made the Nourishing Traditions (page 566) all raw cheesecake before and it is delicious. This is a variation on that recipe using kefir and pumpkin and crème fraiche. It is so good!
This will serve quite a few people (12-16) so it is good for a holiday party or for eating leftovers!
- 2 cups crispy pecans (I buy a version that is apple pie spiced that conform to the NT recipe at our local Austin Farmer’s Market) (how to make crispy nuts)
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 1 cup homemade kefir or yogurt cheese (how to make yogurt cheese – I used the same process with kefir)
- 1 cup crème fraiche or sour cream
- 2 cups pumpkin puree
- 4 eggs separated, at room temperature
- 1 ¼ cups milk, preferably raw but you can also use low temp pasteurized (don’t use UHT milk)
- 2 Tbsp gelatin
- ½ cup raw honey
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- Pinch sea salt
In a food processor, process dates and crispy pecans until they form a sticky mass. Press into a buttered 9 X 13 inch pyrex pan to form a crust.
Put egg yolks and milk in a sauce pan, beat lightly, sprinkle with gelatin and warm slightly (not too hot or you will scald the raw milk!) until gelatin is dissolved. In a food processor, combine kefir cheese, crème fraiche, pumpkin puree, honey and vanilla and process until smooth. Add yolk mixture and process until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and place in the refrigerator while you continue with the recipe.
Beat egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff.
Fold egg whites into the kefir cheese pumpkin mixture and pour into crust. Chill several hours before serving (overnight is best).
This post is featured on Monday Mania, Natural Living Monday, Make Your Own Monday, Fat Tuesday, Weekend Gourmet, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Tasteful Tuesday, Traditional Tuesday, Simple Lives Thursday