I know DEET is the active ingredient in bug repellent that has been proven to work the best, however, DEET is not my favorite thing to put on my body or my daughter’s body on a regular basis. So unless I am camping, I choose to make my own non-toxic bug repellent. Since I have been using this bar, I have noticed I may still get a bite or two but not 15 bites. This bar is great for everyday use in my backyard or for a nightly neighborhood stroll.
I really like essential oil blends for this bug repellent bar because it makes my life easier. I don’t need to buy all of these oils separately. I know I would never use a full bottle of them. I add my favorite oil blend, Thieves oil, which includes clove, lemon, cinnamon bark, eucalyptus, and rosemary essential oils. A new oil blend I am loving right now is one called Purification. It is a blend of citronella, lemongrass, lavandin, rosemary, melaleuca, and myrtle essential oils. All of these scents keep those mosquitoes away!
There is an additional benefit to having Purification oil on hand: you can dab a drop onto any bite or sting and it will take the itch out. I got two bites on my shoulder the other night and I put Purification on them and they haven’t been itchy since!
Bug Repellent Lotion Bars
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup grated cocoa butter or shea butter
- 1/4 cup grated beeswax, firmly packed
- 1/4 teaspoon Vitamin E Oil (optional)
- 1/4 tsp Purification oil blend (where to buy)
- 1/4 tsp Thieves oil blend (where to buy)
Using a glass bowl set over a simmering pot of water, gently melt beeswax, coconut oil, and cocoa or shea butter.
Stir ingredients until melted.
Remove from heat. Add essential oils and optional Vitamin E. Stir until blended, then pour into a mold. I like these silicon molds.
Allow to cool before removing from molds. You can place them in the fridge to speed things up a bit.
These bars will stay good for up to 6 months. Store in an airtight container. I use these tins to carry them around with me in my purse!
Love these? Check out my sunscreen lotion bars too!
Pin it here for later!
Like this how to? +1 it!
Further Reading from Around the Web
- Everyday Essential Oils: Purification
- 10 Uses for Purification Oil
- How To Buy Therapeutic Essential Oils
- 50 Uses For Essential Oils
More Essential Oil recipes here!
- 20 Everyday Uses for Thieves Essential Oil
- Kid-Friendly Squeezable Toothpaste
- Homemade 2 Ingredient Zit Zapper
- Homemade Deodorant Stick
Latest posts by Lindsey Gremont (see all)
- 6 Healthy Habit Changes - August 22, 2014
- The BEST Homemade Facial Serum EVER! - August 19, 2014
- Hormone Balancing: Is it possible to achieve naturally? - August 8, 2014