This recipe for cottage cheese is fairly simple and only requires one ingredient: raw milk. If you are a raw milk convert like I am, then you can understand why I wouldn’t want to buy grocery store varieties of cottage cheese. You will be surprised at how easy this is to make yourself. My daughter loves cottage cheese and I am happy she will have another great lunch option that is easy to pull together! I hope you are inspired to try it!
Raw Milk Cottage Cheese
This recipe will make about 2 cups of cottage cheese
- Skim the cream off of the top of the milk as best you can with a turkey baster and store in a mason jar in the fridge for later.
- Pour the skimmed milk into a glass bowl and cover with a cheesecloth. Leave on the counter for 1-2 days until it reaches a firm jello-like consistency just prior to showing signs of separation into curds and whey. This means you will not see any watery whey sitting on top – just white jello-like milk. Waiting times will vary depending on how fresh your raw milk is.
- Skim off any leftover cream (you probably will not be able to get it all with the turkey baster) and use as you would sour cream. (Bonus!)
- Dump the thickened milk into a large pot and turn the heat on to low. Heat on low for 5-10 minutes until you see the milk separate into curds and whey.
- Line a strainer with butter muslin or a dish cloth and set over a large bowl.
- Pour the curds and whey into the strainer. Allow the curds to drain for about 1-3 hours. You can save the whey for other uses.
- Remove the curds from the butter muslin and add to a bowl. Crumble up the curds into small chunks. Add salt to taste. Pour on about 1/4 cup of the reserved fresh cream. Stir to combine. Voila – homemade cottage cheese!
If you can’t get raw milk in your state, you might try this recipe using pasteurized milk.
Real Food Survival Guide e-Book - Get Instant Access!
Subscribe for instant access to my free ebook, Real Food Survival Guide for Busy Moms. I'll also send you real food recipes, wellness tips, exclusive discounts and coupons.