The following is a guest post by Stephanie of Naturally Mindful. Stephanie is a full time nursing student with a focus on alternative medicine, yet still makes time to not only blog, but to experiment with DIY recipes! If you don’t already know Stephanie’s blog, go check it out!
I don’t know about you, but I hate shaving.
I started looking around for a homemade shaving cream because I have very sensitive skin. In the winter it is worse due to Keratosis Pilaris (AKA chicken skin) which is in part due to a vitamin A and D imbalance and a loving gift from my father’s genes.
Skin issues or not, who doesn’t want to feel pampered with a luscious shaving cream, while also feeling good that no harmful chemicals will be in contact with your precious skin?
After a few trial-and-errors I came up with a recipe that I love and I am sure you will too.
All Natural Homemade Shaving Cream
- 4 Tbsp solid shea butter
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil (where to buy)
- 2 Tbsp sweet almond oil
- 10-12 drops pure lavender essential oil, optional* (where to buy)
Using a double boiler, (I use a glass bowl over a pot of simmering hot water) add the shea butter and coconut oil and let them melt over the lowest heat setting, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat once completely melted.
Add almond oil and essential oils and stir to combine completely.
Let it sit on the counter for a couple minutes before transferring to an airtight container (these pint sized mason jars are adorable) for up to a month.
Tips and Notes
*Essential oils are optional, however they add a great scent and some essential oils can be healing for the skin. Here are some examples of great EO combinations:
- Roman Chamomile and Lavender essential oils are moisturizing and used for dry skin or skin with issues such as eczema
- Tangerine and Sweet Orange are hydrating
- Geranium and Jasmine are typically used on normal skin
- Eucalyptus and Rosemary for scarred skin or skin that is prone to infection
This all-natural homemade shaving cream can be a great gift for someone if you want to make a large batch. Pack a natural loofah and a real steel razor into a cute basket and you have an economical gift that would impress anyone, and make them feel special that you went thought the trouble of hand-making their gift!
I almost like shaving now…
Return to Top of Homemade Shaving Cream
Hi, my name is Stephanie, and I live in Ohio with my curly-hair two year old boy, my handsome and supportive husband—even during my crazy attempts at homemade natural concoctions—and our two dachshunds. I am currently a full time nursing student with emphasis on alternative medicine, and author of the blog Naturally Mindful.
I believe in Real Food, in living sustainably, and being gentle to our planet. I believe that a green and healthy lifestyle doesn’t have to be expensive or difficult. I write about what I am passionate about, helping others take baby steps towards a more natural life.
Further Reading from Around the Web
- Attend one of my Essential Oils 101 classes here!
- 10 Simple & All Natural Beauty Tips
- The Oil Cleansing Method: The Best Way to Wash Your Face
- How To Buy Therapeutic Essential Oils
- 50 Uses For Essential Oils
More beauty recipes here!
- Citrus Body Butter
- 75+ DIY Beauty Recipes: All Natural & Non-Toxic
- Cooling Peppermint Toner
- Firming and Anti-Aging Skin Serum Recipe
Latest posts by Lindsey Gremont (see all)
- Homemade Aftershave - December 3, 2014
- Immune Boosting Travel Swab - November 29, 2014
- 10 Uses for Melaleuca alternifolia (tea tree) Essential Oil - November 17, 2014