We have been using home remedies like essential oils to fight colds and hopefully keep the flu away from our house. We are about to jump right into the main part of the cold and flu season. As always, we are eating plenty of fermented foods, my ‘no flu tea‘, and we are taking our cod liver oil, but in this post I am going to focus on what else we are using this year – essential oils.
As usual, I offer my disclaimer that I am not a doctor. This blog post is for information purposes only as I am sharing my experiences.
We all just got our first cold of the winter and here is what I did to help us kick it quickly. Are you prepared to keep your family healthy this season?
6 Essential Oils for Colds and Flu
- Thieves oil. Thieves is a blend of essential oils including Clove, Lemon, Cinnamon bark, Eucalyptus and Rosemary. It is highly antiviral, antiseptic, antibacterial, and anti-infectious. I rub 2-3 drops undiluted on the bottoms of our feet and on our spines when we are fighting a cold or have been exposed. I also diffuse it into the air using a cool mist diffuser about 2-3 times per day for about 15 minutes each during the winter cold season. (use on children under the age of 2 with caution – many people have used on infants but test a small amount to be sure and do it heavily diluted as this oil can be hot on the skin)
- R.C. Blend oil. I talked quite a bit about R.C. blend in my homemade vapor rub recipe post so I will not repeat myself here. While sick, we used the vapor rub on the chest and feet every few hours. I also diffused the R.C. along with the Thieves oil a few times a day for about 15 minutes each time. (only for use on children above the age of 2)
- ImmuPower oil. I recently purchased this oil for the sole purpose of strengthening our immune systems during this season. It is also a blend of oils including Citrus, Frankincense, Oregano, Idaho Tansy, Cumin, Clove, Hyssop, Ravintsara, and Mountain Savory. This oil smells like tacos and pizza together but the smell has actually very much grown on me. I am rubbing a couple of drops on our feet twice daily. (only for use on children and adults above the age of 6)
- Breathe Again (roll-on). I was especially hard hit with the recent cold going through our household. Why? Because my lungs are weak from years of asthma. I ended up having asthma symptoms and a cough. I really despise when this happens because I get stressed and worried that I may come down with pneumonia again. I also cannot stand to use my inhaler because it gives me the shakes. While R.C. is said to work for some with asthma, I think for me it helped only a little. Breathe Again is a supercharged version of R.C. blend and I am very thankful I had some on hand. It has a highly anti-inflammatory essential oil as part of the blend and I plan on ordering it separately next month: Copaiba essential oil. Within 30 seconds of rubbing this Breathe Again blend on my chest, my asthma symptoms would disappear. It was like magic. I think I have found my new inhaler! I didn’t have to use my conventional inhaler once during the 10 days and I am now 100%. Phew! (only for use on children above the age of 2)
- Frankincense oil. This oil is very helpful with a cough. I rubbed a drop onto my chest along with our homemade vapor rub 3-4 times a day. I also did this on my daughter at night. It really helped to also open my lungs and allowed us to stop coughing. This was also helpful for my asthma symptoms. (can be used on babies and children)
- Lemon oil: I rubbed this around my ears and on my lymph nodes and immediately felt relief because it allowed them to drain. It can feel hot on some people so simply add 2 drops of the Lemon oil to a bit of coconut oil (or olive oil or ghee) to dilute it and then rub that mixture in. (can be used on babies and children and is very good for babies with a cold and for coughs)
Our household is getting back to normal now, but I will continue using the ImmuPower and diffusing the Thieves oil in our home a few times a day. I am amazed I was able to get through one cold so quickly and without getting a sinus infection or pneumonia!
Like this post? Pin it here for later reference!
Is there anything you might add to this list?
Share this important post! +1 on Google+ below!
Further Reading from Around the Web
- A Roundup of Natural Cold and Flu Recipes
- 12 Ways to Boost Your Immune System
- How To Buy Therapeutic Essential Oils
- 50 Uses For Essential Oils
More Essential Oil recipes here!
- Immune Boosting Foot Rub
- 9 Ways To Beat a Cold Naturally with Essential Oils
- Cooling Peppermint Toner
- 10 Ways To Strengthen Your Immune System
Latest posts by Lindsey Gremont (see all)
- 6 Healthy Habit Changes - August 22, 2014
- The BEST Homemade Facial Serum EVER! - August 19, 2014
- Hormone Balancing: Is it possible to achieve naturally? - August 8, 2014