We have been using home remedies like essential oils to boost immunity and hopefully keep the yuckies away from our house. We are about to jump right into the main part of the winter yuckie season. As always, we are eating plenty of fermented foods, my ‘no flu tea‘, and we are taking our cod liver oil, but in this post I am going to focus on what else we are using this year – essential oils. After all, all of these remedies are God’s medicine!
As usual, I offer my disclaimer that I am not a doctor. This blog post is for information purposes only as I am sharing my experiences.
We all just got our first cold of the winter and here is what I did to help us kick it quickly. Are you prepared to keep your family healthy this season?
6 Essential Oils for Colds and Flu Season
- Thieves oil. Thieves is a blend of essential oils including Clove, Lemon, Cinnamon bark, Eucalyptus and Rosemary. It is really awesome at supporting our immune systems and not playing nice with viruses. I rub 2-3 drops undiluted on the bottoms of our feet and on our spines daily. I also diffuse it into the air using a cool mist diffuser about 2-3 times per day for about 15 minutes each during the winter cold season.
- R.C. Blend oil. I talked quite a bit about R.C. blend in my homemade vapor rub recipe post so I will not repeat myself here. While sick, we used the vapor rub on the chest and feet every few hours. I also diffused the R.C. along with the Thieves oil a few times a day for about 15 minutes each time. (only for use on children above the age of 2)
- ImmuPower oil. I recently purchased this oil for the sole purpose of strengthening our immune systems during this season. It is also a blend of oils including Citrus, Frankincense, Oregano, Idaho Tansy, Cumin, Clove, Hyssop, Ravintsara, and Mountain Savory. This oil smells like tacos and pizza together but the smell has actually very much grown on me. I am rubbing a couple of drops on our feet twice daily. (only for use on children and adults above the age of 6)
- Breathe Again (roll-on). I was especially hard hit with the recent cold going through our household. Why? Because my lungs are weak from years of asthma. I ended up having asthma symptoms and a cough. I really despise when this happens because I know my immune system is stressed. Breathe Again is a supercharged version of R.C. blend and I am very thankful I had some on hand. Within 30 seconds of rubbing this Breathe Again blend on my chest, I could breathe easier in my chest and through my nose!
- Frankincense oil. I have found this to be helpful remedy for healthy lung function. I rubbed a drop onto my chest along with our homemade vapor rub 3-4 times a day. I also did this on my daughter at night. It really helped to also open my lungs and allowed us to stop coughing. This was also helpful for my wheezy type coughs. (can be used on babies and children)
- Lemon oil: I rubbed this around my ears and on my lymph nodes and immediately felt relief because it allowed them to drain. It can feel hot on some people so simply add 2 drops of the Lemon oil to a bit of coconut oil (or olive oil or ghee) to dilute it and then rub that mixture in. (can be used on babies and children and is very good for babies with a cold and for coughs)
Our household is getting back to normal now, but I will continue using the ImmuPower and diffusing the Thieves oil in our home a few times a day. I am amazed I was able to get through one cold so quickly and without getting as sick as we usually would!
Like this post? Pin it here for later reference!
Is there anything you might add to this list?
Share this important post! +1 on Google+ below!
Further Reading from Around the Web
- Attend one of my Essential Oils 101 classes here!
- A Roundup of Natural Cold and Flu Recipes
- 12 Ways to Boost Your Immune System
- How To Buy Therapeutic Essential Oils
- 50 Uses For Essential Oils
More Essential Oil recipes here!
- Immune Boosting Foot Rub
- 9 Ways To Beat a Cold Naturally with Essential Oils
- Cooling Peppermint Toner
- 10 Ways To Strengthen Your Immune System