We have been using home remedies like essential oils to boost immunity and hopefully keep the yuckies away from our house. We are about to jump right into the main part of the winter yuckie season. As always, we are eating plenty of fermented foods, my ‘no flu tea‘, and we are taking our cod liver oil, but in this post I am going to focus on what else we are using this year – essential oils. After all, all of these remedies are God’s medicine!
As usual, I offer my disclaimer that I am not a doctor. This blog post is for information purposes only as I am sharing my experiences.
Are you prepared to keep your family healthy this season?
6 Essential Oils for Winter Yuckies
- Thieves oil. Thieves is a blend of essential oils including Clove, Lemon, Cinnamon bark, Eucalyptus and Rosemary. It is really awesome at supporting our immune systems. I rub 2-3 drops undiluted on the bottoms of our feet and on our spines daily. I also diffuse it into the air using a cool mist diffuser about 2-3 times per day for about 15 minutes each during the winter cold season.
- R.C. Blend oil. I talked quite a bit about R.C. blend in my homemade vapor rub recipe post so I will not repeat myself here. While dealing with hacking, we used the vapor rub on the chest and feet every few hours. I also diffused the R.C. along with the Thieves oil a few times a day for about 15 minutes each time.
- ImmuPower oil. I recently purchased this oil for the sole purpose of strengthening our immune systems during this season. It is also a blend of oils including Citrus, Frankincense, Oregano, Idaho Tansy, Cumin, Clove, Hyssop, Ravintsara, and Mountain Savory. This oil smells like tacos and pizza together but the smell has actually very much grown on me. I am rubbing a couple of drops on our feet twice daily.
- Breathe Again (roll-on). Breathe Again is a supercharged version of R.C. blend which can plow through stuffy noses and the incessant nasal drip with ease. It really encourages proper nasal function! and I am very thankful I had some on hand. Within 30 seconds of rubbing this Breathe Again blend on my chest, I could breathe easier in my chest and through my nose!
- Frankincense oil. I have found this to be helpful remedy for healthy lung function because it just takes away that tightness. I rubbed a drop onto my chest along with our homemade vapor rub 3-4 times a day. I also did this on my daughter at night. It really helped to also open my lungs and allowed us to stop hacking. This was also helpful for wheezing.
- Lemon oil: I rubbed this around my ears and up my throat and immediately felt relief because it allowed them to drain. It can feel hot on some people so simply add 2 drops of the Lemon oil to a bit of coconut oil (or olive oil or ghee) to dilute it and then rub that mixture in.
Our household is getting back to normal now, but I will continue using the ImmuPower and diffusing the Thieves oil in our home a few times a day. I am amazed I was able to get through this round of the yuckies so quickly!
Like this post? Pin it here for later reference!
Is there anything you might add to this list?
Further Reading from Around the Web
- Attend one of my Essential Oils 101 classes here!
- 12 Ways to Boost Your Immune System
- How To Buy Therapeutic Essential Oils
- 50 Uses For Essential Oils
More Essential Oil recipes here!Homemade Mommy Beauty Essentials. Get 35 DIY Beauty recipes that you can use everyday and learn all about how to use and care for your essential oils!
Latest posts by Lindsey Gremont (see all)
- Homemade Aftershave - December 3, 2014
- Immune Boosting Travel Swab - November 29, 2014
- 10 Uses for Melaleuca alternifolia (tea tree) Essential Oil - November 17, 2014