The Nutrient Your Grandparents Got That is Missing From Your Diet

New to Essential Oils? Sign up for a FREE 14 day e-Course and email series to walk you through the basics! Register now for FREE here!

The Nutrient Your Grandparents Got That is Missing From Your Diet | www.homemademommy.net

There is something important missing from our diets today that was very prevalent over 50 years ago. Our grandparents got this nutrient without even trying but, to get this nutrient today, we must seek out special dietary sources.

What is this missing nutrient? Vitamin K2.

Never heard of K2? Well then you must read on! I read about K2 a couple of years ago in a wonderfully informative book called Vitamin K2 and the Calcium Paradox: How a Little-Known Vitamin Could Save Your Life by Dr. Kate Rheaume-Bleue. This book opened my eyes to so many things, it is hard to choose how to distill the information for you here. If you want to hear Dr. Rheaume-Bleue speak, you can for FREE. Scroll down for details.

So what is K2 in a nutshell?

K2 is a fat soluble vitamin in the same family as Vitamins A, D, and E. It has a role to play in many aspects of our overall health including fertility and fetal development, cardiovascular health, and bone health.

Why is it so vital to our health?

First, while we need Vitamin D to absorb calcium, Vitamin D does not tell the calcium where to go in our bodies. This is where Vitamin K2 comes into play. K2 tells the calcium to go to our bones and make them strong. Without K2, calcium will take up residence wherever it can, usually in our soft tissues like arteries. This is exactly where we do not want calcium! We all know what calcium in the arteries is: plaque. If the calcium does not get into our bones, then we are left with brittle bones. So it really does not matter how much calcium we take, if we do not have K2, then we will not see the benefit.

The other issue with not having sufficient K2 during fetal development is that we experience premature calcification of our nasal cartilage (source). In English, this means that the face will not develop properly, which will lead to: crooked teeth, mouth breathing, and sinus issues. Sound familiar?

So back to the topic at hand…

Why did your grandparents have easy access to this vital vitamin and now we do not?

1. They Weren’t Afraid of Fat.

Our grandparents did not grow up on a low-fat diet. They ate plenty of fats. Just look at any cookbook prior to 1950 and you will see just how much more fat they ate than we do. I have seen many an old recipe for roasts layered with suet (fat) to keep them moist! Now we all shudder at a photo of a chicken wrapped in bacon! K2 is a fat soluble vitamin and is present in the fat. When we remove the fat, we remove the K2.

2. They ate meat, milk, butter, cheese, and eggs from grass fed animals.

K2 is only present in grass fed animal products, not grain fed. As we moved animals off of pasture to confinement and grain feeding, we lost an important source of K2. 99% of all land animals eaten or used to produce milk and eggs in the United States are now factory farmed. So unless you seek out grass fed animal products, you are missing a vital K2 source.

3. They ate liver weekly.

Liver is very high in K2 and our grandparents (or great-grandparents) ate this weekly. Liver is now out of vogue and is repugnant to most people. We are told it is not healthy to eat liver and that it contains toxins and too much Vitamin A. I would agree if you are eating factory farmed liver, however, liver from grass-fed and sustainably raised animals contains a very nice balance of Vitamin A and K2!

4. They ate fermented foods.

There are specific strains of bacteria that product the vitamin K2 in some fermented foods. Specific cheeses like Gouda or Brie for example, even from dairy which is not grass fed, will contain some vitamin K2. Sauerkraut contains some K2 as well. Actually, the highest concentration of K2 found in any food is actually in a fermented soybean product called natto, traditionally eaten in Japan.

Want to learn more about vitamin K2 and its critical role in your health?

New Year New You Virtual Online Conference | www.homemdemommy.net

Listen for FREE to Dr. Kate Rheaume-Bleue Talk About Vitamin K2!

Dr. Kate Rheaume-Bleue is just one of the amazing speakers in the New Year New You virtual online conference starting Jan 15th, 2014. I highly encourage you to sign up now for this FREE online event so that you do not miss this important talk on January 16th. If you can’t listen on the 16th (I can’t ever listen on the Free days because of my job!) then you can pre-order the download package and listen whenever you want (in your car, while folding laundry, even 3 months from now!) for life for 50% off right now.

Sign up and Pre-order your download package here.

More K2 Resources

Where to buy Vitamin K2 rich foods

Like this post? Share it by:

Pinning it here!

+1-ing it here!

I am a very busy real food mama! When I am not taking care of my 5 year old, I take time to share my real food recipes on my blog, Homemade Mommy. I finds the time for homemade cooking because eating this way has truly changed my family’s life. Ditching processed food has helped us all to heal from a number of ailments including asthma, allergies, recurrent sinus infections and ADHD. I buy organic, from family farms, local and grass-fed. I am passionate about achieving vibrant health and am happy to share tips, techniques and recipes in my eBook, The Real Food Survival Guide for Busy Moms which is an excellent resource for any busy mom (or dad) who wants to cook real food for their family but is not sure how to take the plunge.

27 Responses to The Nutrient Your Grandparents Got That is Missing From Your Diet

1. Fascinating. I’ve heard of the vitamin, but some of the sources are new to me – and especially important because I eat no animal products!

2. Bruce Schlieder says:

Do we have any research studies on this. Old nutritional journals? Would be nice to double check this. I knew of plenty of old folks growing up (I am 61) who had brittle bones. I do believe we have a modern plague effecting many, especially women.

Thanks

Bruce

• bb says:

That’s not an objective peer-reviewed source.

• Angela says:

How is it not objective? It is the original writings of one of the discoverers of K2, and documents his research for the lay audience. He also published peer-reviewed scientific articles, but they are not available online. Perhaps the Price Pottenger Foundation would provide more information if you feel that only the peer reviewed papers are worth while. However, I would encourage you to read the book before dismissing it.

3. Samantha says:

Last year my doctor said I had low vitamin D levels and said needed to start on a vit D supplement. Luckily the man at my vitamin store told me about vit K2!! But i didn’t research all the reasons. Thanks for all the info!!

• Rebecca says:

Amen!! I have always had low vitamin D levels even though I supplemented. I learned about Vitamin K2 and the ONLY difference in what I did was add the Vitamin K2 to my regiment. Next time I got my vitamin D levels tested, my results were a 96 (too high!) so I know that my levels went from around 35 to 96 because of the K2. I now don’t take Vitamin D3 every day. Maybe every other day. And, I don’t take K2 every day, either. I do eat foods that have K2 in them, though… fermented dairy, grassfed beef, grassfed butter, etc.

I am a believer.

4. Michelle says:

Every single time the doctor has told me to start taking calcium supplements I ended up with kidney stones. This makes me think I’m getting enough calcium, but not enough K2.

5. grannygoodfood says:

Dr. Weston A. Price knew from his observations of people around the world that there was “something” almost miraculous about the butter oil from cows eating spring grass. He called it the “X” Factor, and scientists today believe it is Vitamin K-2. He used two foods, the butter oil and cod liver oil, and just these two nutrients would raise people off their deathbeds. We really don’t have a calcium shortage in this country; we have an absorption problem, and the Vit K-2 is the missing element. Excellent article, well done!

6. Melody Filonczuk says:

Great informative article! Thanks for posting it!

7. I wanted to look for more info on vitamin K2 so I did a wikipedia search. They agree that fermented foods are high but say that meat is low in it. “Natural K2 is also found in bacterial fermented foods, like mature cheeses and curd. The MK-4 form of K2 is often found in relatively small quantities in meat and eggs. The richest source of Natural K2 is the traditional Japanese dish natto[23] made of fermented soybeans, which provides an unusually rich source of Natural K2 as long-chain MK-7: its consumption in Japan has been linked to significant improvement in K vitamin’s status and bone health in many studies.” They do provide some interesting information and studies. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_K2

• Angela says:

They are looking at grain fed products, which have lower levels. The amount of K2 present in animal products is in direct proportion to how much greenstuffs they eat, and reaches the highest levels when cows are exclusively fed grasses in a state of rapid growth.

8. Mike says:

I like the article but where are your sources for what our grandparents ate?

• Eilish says:

my grand parents etc where farmers in Ireland

I have a decent level of certainty what they ate – and those who came before them

so many health problems we see now were not common among them or their neighbors

9. Cari says:

Hi,I just got kefir grains and read they have K2, do you know if they do?

10. Beth says:

This is an interesting article. I am wondering if you have any information on whether this nutrient should be taken if someone has a blood clotting disorder? I have one and the numbers I was told up from 3-5% of the population has a blood clotting disorder (It’s not often found for men as easily since women often have problems in pregnancy making the clotting disorder obvious. We are told vitamin k is not your friend when you have a blood clotting disorder since we already clot too easily, do you have any thoughts on this?

11. […] is a blend of CLO and high vitamin butter oil. High vitamin butter oil contains  vitamins K2 (an important nutrient most of us don’t get enough of), E and Coenzyme […]

12. […] Is there something MISSING from your diet that wasn’t missing say 90 years ago? Was this nutrient EASY to get back then, but it’s getting harder to find in the supermarket? Find out from Lindsey of Homemade Mommy in the informative post, and hopefully you’ll be able to make some changes to get it in your daily diet! Keep reading… […]

13. leal says:

I remember taking cod liver oil as a child – yuk! now we have encapsulated the oil and swallow it that way. I think I could start taking it now. I do eat butter from grass fed dairy cattle. Is that enough? how much butter would I have to eat in order to satisfy the requirements?

14. Cindy says:

I always love the advice to eat grass fed meat and eggs from pastured chickens. The only thing wrong with this advice is it usually comes from people that can afford it. Families have a difficult enough time just living so why not give some other alternatives? The other issue is availability. When people live in the center of farming country you will have a difficult time even finding cattle that are grass fed. The only one in my area charges so much for on the hoof beef it is out of reach for most people.