I was diagnosed with weak lung function back when I was 8 years old. I spent many years not able to do the things I wanted because of it. I have spent the past few years doing many things to help make my lungs healthy again and have learned so much in the process. I worked with my doctor and am happy to say I have many home remedies to share with you to continue to get better and better!
Building Healthy Lungs
Over the past three years, I have made many changes in my diet including:
- eating more fermented foods like sauerkraut and kefir
- eating more healthy saturated fats like butter
- consuming gelatin-rich bone broth
- ditching processed foods with chemical additives, especially rancid vegetable oils like canola, soy and corn oils
- going mostly grain free – wheat especially triggers attacks
These changes brought me a long way!
So am I totally healthy? Not quite.
I still have symptoms when my body is inundated with my triggers. When I enter a reactive state I tend to get flares. Are they as severe? Not usually. However, I wanted something I could use to calm my lungs when they needed it. Something that didn’t make me jittery.
Home Remedies for Healthy Lung Function
After months of experimentation on various remedies including these home remedies for seasonal sniffles, I am happy to share that I now have a number of natural remedies to support my lungs and breathing and my emotions with essential oils. If you think essential oils are only for making your house or homemade beauty and cleaning products smell nice, then you are in for a surprise. I was personally shocked that they worked so incredibly well for my lung function. Floored.
So what can I share about essential oils for healthy lung function? Here I have a recipe for a healthy lung roll-on that works well in my own personal experience as well as some essential oils to calm my emotions as well. Every root cause and presentation of weak lungs is different. I would highly recommend working with a naturopathic doctor or functional medicine practitioner to work through a diet change plan and supplement plan that works best for you. Trial and error is key to finding what works for your body.
Home Remedies for Healthy Lung Function: Homemade Roll-on Blend
This blend includes 4 powerful essential oils with properties that can help promote healthy lung function. I have found these oils to be gentle, yet immediately effective when applied to my chest and throat just over my bronchial tubes.
- 20 drops Raven essential oil blend (where I buy this therapeutic essential oil blend)
- 10 drops Copaiba essential oil (where I buy this therapeutic essential oil)
- 5 drops Dorado Azul essential oil (where I buy this therapeutic essential oil)
- 5 drops Palo Santo essential oil (where I buy this therapeutic essential oil)
- 40 drops carrier oil (I used sweet almond oil but you can also use olive oil if you have a nut sensitivity)
Drop the essential oils and carrier oil into a roll-on bottle and rub between your hands to mix together. Apply as needed to the chest and neck. I carry this in my purse with me at all times.
Must Have for Daily Healthy Lung Function: Diffuser Necklace
Home Remedies for Healthy Lung Function: Other essential oils to look into
Breathe Again Roll On Blend
I have tried this blend and use it often. Why? It helps to get rid of that incessant drip at the back of my throat which seems to impact my lungs. Breathe Again is also a great oil blend to rub over the chest and neck before a run or other type of vigorous exercise. It really opens up the airways! (where I buy this therapeutic essential oil)
Frankincense is a very versatile oil. I find this oil works on opening up the heart when I are feeling overwhelmed. It takes away that tightness. If you are feeling overwhelmed and need to calm down, this might be a good one to try. (where I buy this therapeutic essential oil)
Copaiba seems to take my triggers and kick them to the curb. When I am in a reactive state, my body’s immune system reacts in kind. Copaiba calms my immune system from reacting so heavily. I have found if I have a very mild attack, I can start with just a drop of Copaiba and see if that helps. It usually does. (where I buy this therapeutic essential oil)
As I grow my knowledge in holistic home remedies, I am thrilled that I can get the help I need without using toxic products with laundry lists of side effects. But I share what I do with great humility. Please be cautious and listen to your body. Working with weak lungs requires close monitoring and management. If you do not have your lungs and breathing under control, it can cause serious illness and complications. Take care to be smart with these home remedies. If you cannot breathe, use the medications you need or get to a doctor!
What do you think? Which essential oils from the above list do you think work for you?
Pin it here!
Further Reading from Around the Web
- Learn how to boost your immune system in this quick class
- The Herbal Pharmacy/First Aid
- 9 Natural Remedies for Migraines
- How To Buy Therapeutic Essential Oils
- 50 Uses For Essential Oils
More healing recipes here!
- The Dangers of Air Fresheners and 10 Natural Alternatives
- DIY Peppermint Muscle Balm
- Natural Cough Remedy
- 20 Beauty and Healing Essential Oil Recipes
Latest posts by Lindsey Gremont (see all)
- Homemade Aftershave - December 3, 2014
- Immune Boosting Travel Swab - November 29, 2014
- 10 Uses for Melaleuca alternifolia (tea tree) Essential Oil - November 17, 2014