I have absolutely enjoyed making and using my own homemade sunscreen lotion bars without all the toxic ingredients. But this year I wanted to try my hand at some squeezable sunscreen lotion instead. This is greatly because Homemade Daddy has requested this many many times!
I ended up getting the push I needed to just go ahead and make them when I saw a great recipe from Emily over at Holistic Squid. And, as many of you saw in my Facebook group, I got quite a burn yesterday so I really needed to get this made for the summer ASAP. No more excuses! I love the aroma these particular essential oils give to the lotion but the zinc is what gives it the SPF.
I applied some today and it went on smooth and easy and felt very much like the store bought sunscreen. I was happy this made enough to fill three tubes: one to send with my daughter to school, one to throw in my purse, and one for Homemade Daddy.
Homemade Sunscreen Lotion
- 2 oz beeswax (I buy this HERE)
- 1 oz cocao butter (I buy this HERE)
- 1 oz shea butter (I buy this HERE)
- 2 oz coconut oil (I get this HERE)
- 2 oz avocado oil (I get mine HERE)
- 1 Tbsp zinc oxide powder (I get this non GMO / non nano powder HERE)
- 10 drops carrot seed essential oil (I buy my essential oils HERE)
- 10 drops myrrh essential oil (I buy my essential oils HERE)
- 25 drops Lavender essential oil (I buy my essential oils HERE)
- 2 drops Sandalwood essential oil (optional) (I buy my essential oils HERE)
Using a double boiler (or a glass measuring cup set over a pan of simmering water), combine the beeswax, the cocao butter, shea butter, and the coconut oil and warm until melted. Once melted, remove from heat and whisk in the zinc oxide powder under the mixture is smooth and there are no lumps. Once the mixture is just warm to the touch and is starting to set a bit, stir in the avocado oil and essential oils and whisk to combine.
Pin it here!
you might also like
Real Food Survival Guide e-Book - Get Instant Access!
Subscribe for instant access to my free ebook, Real Food Survival Guide for Busy Moms. I'll also send you real food recipes, wellness tips, exclusive discounts and coupons.