3 recipes that are more than delicious and totally nourishing…
1) Sweet potato pancakes – grain free! I modified these from a recipe here. My toddler loves these and so do I – you don’t even miss the grain – these would even be good to send to school as a snack:
- 3 eggs
- 1 ½ c sweet potato (about 1 large)
- ½ c almond butter
- ½ c carton unsweetened coconut milk (we used So Delicious brand) or regular cow’s milk
- 1 t baking soda
- 1 t baking powder
- 2 t cinnamon
- ½ tnutmeg (I didn’t use this)
- ½ t salt
- Coconut oil and butter to cook them in – I go through a lot
Bake your sweet potato at 450 for an hour and mush up the inside until it’s fork tender.
Once the sweet potato is cooked and cooled, add all ingredients to blender and blend thoroughly.
Your batter should be pretty liquid-y thin. If it wouldn’t run off a spoon, it’s too thick…add a little more coconut milk until you get the right consistency.
Heat your griddle/cast iron/non-stick skillet over medium heat. Melt a generous bit of coconut oil and butter and pour in the batter, in whatever shape or size you’d like. When the pancake begins to have surface bubbles near the center flip and cook other side (each side 2-3 minutes). Add more coconut oil to cook surface as needed between batches.
Getting your heat right is the key to cooking these. If it’s too hot you’ll burn your pancakes before they’re cooked through.
Let your pancakes rest in the oven on “warm” on a paper towel lined plate until all batches are complete.
We smother these in maple butter – just mix 3 tbsp butter with 3 tbsp maple syrup (Grade B) and some cinnamon! – YUMMY!
2) Honey Cardamom Baked Custard from this google find. I have made plain custard before and wanted to jazz it up today – I searched for cardamom custard and up popped this recipe – it smells so good – can’t wait to taste it tonight!
3) Since we can’t have regular sufganiyot – I am going to try this grain free cake donut – will let you know how it turns out. I bought this silicone pan from amazon – it is a mini donut size – fun!
Enjoy your holiday!
[…] amazing grain free sweet potato pancakes […]