This recipe is very versatile. I found it on Comfy Belly blog as a donut/cupcake recipe and made it this week for my 3 year old’s birthday party into frosted mini-cupcakes and round cakes. All I had to do was adjust the cooking times and make a few double recipes…yes – if you add it all up I made 4 double recipes so that was 48 eggs, 2 lbs of butter and 4 cups of honey – no wonder they tasted so good!
Ingredients (this recipe makes about 30 mini-cupcakes or if you double the recipe you can make one 8 or 9 inch round cake made in a springform pan):
- 1/2 cup of coconut flour
- 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
- 6 pastured eggs
- 1/2 cup of raw honey (or other sweetener)
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup of unsalted butter, melted (parchment paper. Baking times can vary based on your overn – no worries about opening the oven to check them – when lightly brown and toothpick comes out clean you know it is done!
- Cool on a wire rack and then frost. Keeps a week or so in the fridge or longer in the freezer. These get better over time so no need to make the day of an event.
I used the same frosting recipe from this post and added a little
I don’t know why, but unfortunately my cake did not turn out. After 50 minutes it was burnt on the outside and still raw inside. I suppose I must bake it for longer at a lower temperature?
Hated throwing out all the great ingredients of that double batch 🙁
Lindsey Gremont says
Maybe you live at a different altitude? Did you use coconut flour and all the ingredients in the recipe as shown?