Great way to use up a lot of kohlrabi and if your kids like potatoes then they will like this. If you haven’t had kohlrabi before you should definitely try some – you can eat the bulb (peeled) raw kind of like a radish or you can saute it with butter or roast it. It kind of tastes like a cross between a potato and broccoli. I love this recipe because it is just so delicious but unexpected!
- 4 small kohlrabi, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 thinly sliced kohlrabi leaves(set aside)
- 2 tbsp finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan (or any other hard salty type cheese)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Layer half of the slices on bottom of buttered shallow 1 qt casserole dish layer with half the onions, 3tbs cheese, half the heavy cream, half the kohlrabi leaves, half the salt and half the pepper
- Repeat layering
- Top with remaining cheese and bread crumbs
- Bake covered for 30 minutes and uncovered for 15 minutes
Photo credit: orchidgalore, on flickr
This post featured on: Sunday School,
Tara Chin says
sounds great, will have to try it, thanks!
Gourmet Veggie Mama says
I'm always looking for new uses for kohlrabi, and this looks delicious!