Think you have to marinate your chicken in barbeque sauce for a great grilled chicken? Think again! The way to get a nice thick layer of barbeque sauce which adheres to your chicken without burning it is to use the method below. This is the way to get the skin crisp!
Barbeque Grilled Chicken
Use as many chickens as you like depending on how many people you want to feed and just adjust the quantities of this recipe accordingly.
- 1 whole chickens, cut up into 4 pieces (I keep the legs and thighs together and keep the bones and skin on the breasts)
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- salt to taste (where to buy salt)
- 1 cup homemade barbeque sauce
- 2 Tbsp ghee or coconut oil (where to buy)
Rub the salt, red pepper, thyme and ghee or coconut oil on the chicken and set aside.
Heat your grill very hot.
With skin side down, put chickens on grill and let the fat burn off (render). This should take about 10 minutes.
Reduce heat on grill.
Baste the barbeque sauce on chicken often and turn often to glaze.
The chicken will get very gooey as it should and the sauce will adhere since you have deglazed the fat.