Welcome to a new series: Book Review Friday! I just love books about real food so I am going to take one I love and review it on my blog each Friday. I want to be sure you all have the resources you need to learn and grow on your real food journey!
I have often posted on my Facebook page that I am not a huge fan of the slow cooker. Sure, I love the simplicity of dumping all of the ingredients into a pot, covering it, pushing a button and walking away. But I do not always love the results. I am certainly busy and need this time saving cooking tool, but…as you can see on my recipes page, I only have one slow cooker recipe on my whole blog and it is for Korean BBQ short ribs. Nothing lends itself to slow cooking better than short ribs, so go figure!
Slow Cooker Convert?
Recently, a fellow blogger friend, Arsy Vartanian of Rubies and Radishes, released a new cookbook and she asked me to review it. She even sent me a copy! I was thrilled…and then I saw the title: The Paleo Slow Cooker. The entire cookbook was slow cooker recipes! However, as I paged through all of her beautiful recipes, I knew she converted me.
Arsy provided some really great slow cooker tips I was not aware of that should really help to amp up the flavor in your dishes including:
- Adding herbs, spices and salt at the end of cooking will reduce your chances of ending up with bland, watery dishes
- Browning your meat really helps to add flavor to the dish
- Thicken liquid sauces by reducing them on the stove right before serving
It also does not hurt that her flavor profile and love of meats of all cuts are similar to mine! Arsy draws from her Middle Eastern background so her use of spices is truly awe inspiring!
So if you have had reservations about using a slow cooker then I encourage you to get your hands on The Paleo Slow Cooker! And for one lucky reader, I am very pleased to offer you one of Arsy’s cookbooks today in a giveaway! If you are looking to go Paleo then this may be just what you need to get started. There are also many recipes that are safe for those following an autoimmune protocol!
Want one? Enter to Win!
- Click on this link to read about The Paleo Slow Cooker, then leave a blog comment explaining why you want it!
- Click here to sign up for my newsletter. It comes out twice a month with updates on the latest blog posts, special promotions and other fun stuff. You can unsubscribe at any time. You must be subscribed in order to be eligible to win the prize. I cross check the winners to make sure they are signed up for my newsletter before I announce the winner. Your email address will only be used for the Homemade Mommy Newsletter and will not be sold or shared with anyone.
Use the Rafflecopter widget below to enter. You can earn extra entries for leaving a comment on this post, following me on Pinterest, liking my Facebook page and for following me on Google+!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Already subscribed to my newsletter and social media stuff? It still counts as an entry! Just make sure you click the buttons in the Rafflecopter widget above.
Okay! Good luck, everyone! If you have any questions, please comment below.