My mother has made a version of this for the past few years and it is very good with our Thanksgiving turkey. I experimented fermenting it and the results were really good. The relish developed such a nice new balance of flavors after the fermentation process.
- 1 lb. bag of cranberries, washes and peeled
- Zest of 1 large orange (make sure it is organic)
- 1 large jalapeno (de-seed it if you don’t like too much spice)
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- Brine – 1 Tbsp salt and ¼ cup leftover sauerkraut juice from previous batch or whey
Place the all ingredients in a food processor and pulse lightly. You want this to be chopped not pureed. Pack into a pint/500 ML sized fermentation vessel or wide mouthed mason jar. Close the vessel/jar (if using a wide mouthed mason jar, then cover with a coffee filter or dish towel and secure with a rubber band. Allow to ferment in a cool place (pantry or cabinet) for 2-5 days, tasting throughout. When it is sour to your liking, put in the fridge.
you might also like
Real Food Survival Guide e-Book - Get Instant Access!
Subscribe for instant access to my free ebook, Real Food Survival Guide for Busy Moms. I'll also send you real food recipes, wellness tips, exclusive discounts and coupons.