I was paid to write this post. However, I only promote companies I believe in.
Should I limit screen time for my daughter as she grows older? That is the big question and it is harder and harder these days to come to a conclusion on this. Obviously I am a blogger, so technology is a huge part of my life and how I make a living. I also come from a technology background and have worked in the software industry for over 15 years.
I have had a computer in my house since I was probably in first grade. 30 years ago I had technology and it got me to where I am today. I know that I absolutely cannot be without my computer or my mobile device.
So for me, the issue isn’t about ‘screen time’ being a waste of time. I do not think that it is a waste of time, quite the opposite. I believe for kids growing up today, screen time is mandatory. Their jobs will entail technology in some way shape or form and their understanding technology is a foregone conclusion.
Why then do I worry about screen time?
Even though I grew up with a computer, it was a desktop computer for the most part. I did not use it that often. Now with all of our portable devices, including laptops, smart phones and tablets and accompanying wireless Internet access, we truly have a lot of new types of radiation surrounding us than we did 30 years ago.
I recently wrote about this detailing one small change you can do to protect yourselves and your kids from this radiation using a DefenderPad laptop shield.
Then my story should be complete. I make that change and all is well. Not so fast.
Did you know that upwards of 20% of the population is hypersensitive to this electromagnetic radiation? What is even more interesting are the symptoms that can appear for this population set. I can remember when I owned my BlackBerry, I could tell when it was about to ring or when I received an email. I felt a buzz in my body that alerted me before the device would even light up! This concerned me.
Symptoms of Electromagnetic Sensitivity
- Concentration problems
- Memory lapses
- Aches or pressure in head, throat and chest
- Unsteady balance, dizziness
- Altered heart rate
- Ringing in the ears
- Excessive fatigue
- Numbness or pain in affected areas
- Sleep disturbances
- Eye irritation
- Red skin blotches, eczema
Do any of those sound familiar?
Knowledge is Power
While I personally am not hypersensitive to electromagnetic radiation, I am sharing this with you today to raise your awareness because you, your spouse or your children may be suffering without you even knowing about it. I write a lot about food intolerance and this may just be another piece in the puzzle as to why your child may be suffering from any of the conditions above. And this part of the puzzle is likely not one your doctor may be telling you about.
If you do know of someone suffering from those symptoms with no other apparent explanation, then it would be worth it to try to take steps to reduce exposure. And in this case a screen time reduction will likely not be enough.
How to Reduce Exposure
- When using a laptop, I use this laptop shield from DefenderPad which reduces radiation up to 99%
- Remove battery chargers, mobile device and digital cordless phones and other wireless products from all bedrooms
- Sleep away from your house power main and operational refrigerators
- Reduce exposure to and keep distance from, televisions, computers and monitors
- Do not use or limit use of microwave ovens, induction stoves, electric blankets, hair dryers, heating pads, tanning beds, and radiant heat systems
- Use standard land line phones when possible
- When using a mobile phone, use a hands free model and direct the phone antenna away from your body. Do not use a wireless headset – use a corded one.
- Remove digital, cordless phones from your home and office; they act as mini-cell towers.
- Limit your use of your home wireless network. If you can, plug in your devices using cables to use the internet. If you want to keep your wifi on during the day, turn it off at night.
- Avoid fluorescent lighting
- Turn off and unplug electronic equipment when not in use
Do You Limit Screen Time?
What say you? Do you limit screen time, yes or no? Do you find you are sensitive to electromagnetic radiation? Have you tried a laptop shield yet? Share your thoughts in the comments below.
Pin it here!
Click here to +1 this post
you might also like
Real Food Survival Guide e-Book - Get Instant Access!
Subscribe for instant access to my free ebook, Real Food Survival Guide for Busy Moms. I'll also send you real food recipes, wellness tips, exclusive discounts and coupons.