I have seen cauliflower rice all over the internet but had never made it myself until last week. I was very surprised by the results. I added in some Indian spices and the rice truly tasted like a white Basmati from an Indian restaurant – hardly like a vegetable at all! This will definitely make our winter recipe rounds. Here is my method:
- 1 large head of cauliflower
- 2 Tbsp ghee
- ¼ teaspoon cumin seeds – where to buy spices
- 2 cardamom pods – – where to buy spices
- ½ teaspoon whole coriander seeds – where to buy spices
- ¼ large yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup whole coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp homemade stock (where to buy online) or water
- Salt to taste – where to buy spices
Process the cauliflower in batches in a food processor until it resembles the same size and shape of rice. I do about 1 cup at a time.
Heat a sauté pan with a lid on high heat. Once hot, add in the ghee and then the spices. Once they sizzle and pop add in the onion and a pinch of salt and cook until soft – about 5 minutes.
Add the garlic and stir to combine. Add in the cauliflower and another pinch of salt and then the coconut milk and other liquid (stock or water). Stir to combine, cover and cook on low heat for about 15-20 minutes – stir at about 7 minutes in. Once done you can turn off the heat and let it sit covered while you prep the rest of dinner.
This post is featured on Monday Mania, Fat Tuesday
yum! going to try this.
Cyndy Semple Taylor says
I was also skeptical about cauliflower “rice”. It’s quite tasty!