Eureka! I have found a dinner my whole family loves that includes all of the wonderful real foodie foods I want us to be eating! The dinner is so simple to pull together because most of it can be made ahead of time. This meal is as nutrient dense as you can get because it has so many components including healthy fats and fermented condiments. The point is to get creative and use what you love. Everyone can add whatever fixings they choose! For those who are completely grain free or paleo just skip the corn tortilla, rice and beans and eat this as a salad with some leafy greens.
Here are all of the components for planning purposes – all items can be made in advance:
- Taco Seasoning (see recipe below)
- Taco Meat (see recipe below)
- Black Beans
- Basic Rice cooked in bone broth and coconut milk or even Cauliflower rice!
- Corn tortillas or Sprouted Flour Tortillas (omit if you don’t eat corn or wheat) – I heat up the corn tortillas using a method I learned from my parents…I heat them up directly on my gas stove, turning often and careful not to burn them. Then I put in a warm oven between two plates. You can keep the tortillas warm this way even at the table!
- Guacamole – For my guacamole I keep it very simple. I mix together avocados with my fermented salsa and a little lime juice.
- Crème Fraiche or Sour Cream
- Chopped fresh onions and cilantro
- Shredded raw cheese
- As an option you can also serve this with kale chips or corn chips fried or baked in coconut oil
First I prepare my taco meat using ground beef or veal or you could even use chicken. I use a homemade taco seasoning that I make in bulk in advance.
Homemade Taco Seasoning Recipe
- 4 tsp ancho chile powder – where to buy spices
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper – where to buy spices
- 2 tsp dried oregano – where to buy spices
- 1 tsp ground turmeric – rel=”nofollow”where to buy spices
- 2 tsp ground cumin – where to buy spices
- 2 tsp sea salt – where to buy spices
Mix all ingredients together and store in an air tight container or glass jar. Use 2 Tbsp of this seasoning mix per 1 pound of ground meat.
Homemade Taco Meat Recipe
- 1 lb. ground beef (or veal or chicken)
- 2 Tbsp beef tallow or homemade ghee
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 Tbsp homemade taco seasoning (see recipe above)
- 1/4 cup homemade ketchup
Heat a pan to medium high heat. Add the fat and then the onion and spices. Saute the onion with the spices for a few minutes. Add the meat and the carrots and saute another few minutes. Add the ketchup and stir to combine. Lower the heat to medium low and cook for another 5-10 minutes until the meat is dry and crumbly.
While the taco meat is cooking, I heat up the rice and beans in a pot on the stove and make the guacamole. Then I assemble all of the fixings onto a serving platter. I serve the tacos up family style and everyone can assemble their own.
[…] Ground beef tacos – this is one of my favorites because it includes everything I want for her to eat in one pretty […]