My mother has made a version of this for the past few years and it is very good with our Thanksgiving turkey. I experimented fermenting it and the results were really good. The relish developed such a nice new balance of flavors after the fermentation process.
- 1 lb. bag of cranberries, washes and peeled
- Zest of 1 large orange (make sure it is organic)
- 1 large jalapeno (de-seed it if you don’t like too much spice)
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- Brine – 1 Tbsp salt and ¼ cup leftover sauerkraut juice from previous batch or whey
Place the all ingredients in a food processor and pulse lightly. You want this to be chopped not pureed. Pack into a pint/500 ML sized fermentation vessel or wide mouthed mason jar. Close the vessel/jar (if using a wide mouthed mason jar, then cover with a coffee filter or dish towel and secure with a rubber band. Allow to ferment in a cool place (pantry or cabinet) for 2-5 days, tasting throughout. When it is sour to your liking, put in the fridge.