Raw Chocolate Coconut Macaroons (aka better brownie bites)
|September 5, 2012||Posted by Lindsey G. under Desserts and Sweets|
I love chocolate macaroons – I have been buying them at the store and finally got up the nerve to experiment on making my own. These turned out better than I could have hoped! We are going to save so much money and I think I have found the easiest potluck dessert dish ever! You would be crazy not to try these.
makes about 36 macaroons
- 3 cups dried organic unsweetened coconut flakes – where to buy coconut
- 1 1/4 cups raw cacao powder (or carob powder if you don’t want to use cacao)
- 1 cup maple syrup or raw honey (I went with half and half this time) – where to buy natural sweeteners
- 1/3 cup virgin unrefined coconut oil – where to buy coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of sea salt – where to buy salt
Put all ingredients in the food processor and whiz away until you have a ‘dough’. Roll into balls and put on wax paper on a cookie sheet. Put in the freezer to set up for about 20 min and voila – delicious treat. I am going to store these in the fridge.
UPDATE 10/10/12: I used a 1 Tbsp cookie scoop to make these and it made them far too large for a one bite kind of brownie. I tried using a melon baller which works in a pinch but is quite messy (you can use a spoon to help free the sticky dough). Today, I have found the perfect cookie scoop to make this that is just 1.5 tsp in size!
This post is featured on Real Food Wednesday, Simple Lives Thursday, Sunday School, Fresh Bites Friday, Freaky Friday, Fill Those Jars Friday, Whole Food Friday, Sunday School 9-16, Old Fashioned Recipe Exchange,