I love sauerkraut but sometimes you just want good old coleslaw! Well, guess what? You can make coleslaw from basic sauerkraut. This is sweet and sour from the honey and vinegar and is very refreshing! This is perfect for an outdoor barbeque.
Sweet and Sour Fermented Coleslaw
- 1 pint homemade fermented Sauerkraut
- 1/2 cup coleslaw dressing
Coleslaw dressing ingredients:
This will yield about 2 cups of dressing. Some can be reserved in the fridge for later use.
- 1/2 tsp salt (where to buy salt)
- 1 1/4 tsp celery seed
- 1 1/4 tsp mustard seed
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup honey (where to buy)
- 1 cup white vinegar (where to buy)
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil (where to buy)
Add the dressing ingredients to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Boil the dressing for one minute.
Cool to room temperate (this step is very important – you do not want to kill the good probiotics in the kraut with hot dressing!).
Pour 1/2 cup of the dressing over the 2 cups of sauerkraut (like you are dressing a salad) and mix until well incorporated.
You will have leftover dressing for another occasion. Store the dressing in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
The coleslaw will keep for up to a month.Homemade Mommy Beauty Essentials. Get 35 DIY Beauty recipes that you can use everyday and learn all about how to use and care for your essential oils!
Latest posts by Lindsey Gremont (see all)
- Homemade Aftershave - December 3, 2014
- Immune Boosting Travel Swab - November 29, 2014
- 10 Uses for Melaleuca alternifolia (tea tree) Essential Oil - November 17, 2014