Easy Homemade Foaming Hand Soap

Real Food Meal Plans

Tired of Takeout? YOU can cook real food simply and easily with meal plans! Meal planning has now been revolutionized! Customizable 'real food plans' couldn't be any EASIER! Try these REAL FOOD meal plans today!

Easy Homemade Foaming Hand Soap | www.homemademommy.net

I used to buy foaming hand soap but once I discovered how to make it this incredibly easy way for a whole lot less money, I was thrilled. This recipe is so easy you will be mad you haven’t made your own before. This homemade foaming hand soap has only three ingredients and one is readily available from your faucet!

You can add whatever scent you prefer for each room because this recipe is for small batches.

Easy Homemade Foaming Hand Soap

Ingredients

Equipment You’ll Need

These 8 oz. square Mason glass jars. Why? I love them because they are cute and retro looking but also modern and they also have handy 1/3 cup measuring lines on them.
You can find a lot of different foaming pumps that fit mason jars and your decor here.

Directions

Pour the Castile soap and the essential oil into the jar and stir to combine. Fill the jar the rest of the way up with water. Screw on the lid and pump away!

Now wasn’t that easy peasy? I make these with different scents for each jar. I like lavender, Thieves, or peppermint in our bathrooms and use lemon in the kitchen.

Further Reading from Around the Web

More Essential Oil recipes here!

Pin it here!

Easy Homemade Foaming Hand Soap | www.homemademommy.net

Do you like this Homemade Foaming Hand Soap Recipe? Give it a +1 below!

I am a very busy real food mama! When I am not taking care of my 5 year old, I take time to share my real food recipes on my blog, Homemade Mommy. I finds the time for homemade cooking because eating this way has truly changed my family’s life. Ditching processed food has helped us all to heal from a number of ailments including asthma, allergies, recurrent sinus infections and ADHD. I buy organic, from family farms, local and grass-fed. I am passionate about achieving vibrant health and am happy to share tips, techniques and recipes in my eBook, The Real Food Survival Guide for Busy Moms which is an excellent resource for any busy mom (or dad) who wants to cook real food for their family but is not sure how to take the plunge.

Latest posts by Lindsey Gremont (see all)

106 Responses to Easy Homemade Foaming Hand Soap

1. Tammy says:

Could you use a ceramic soap dispenser with this instead of the glass? And does it have to be a “foaming” dispenser, or would a standard pump dispenser work just as well? That may sound like a silly question, but I didn’t know if it would be too strong if using just a typical pump dispenser instead of one that foams. Thank you.

• Mandie says:

I have been making my own hand soap like this for quite some time. A regular soap dispenser works just fine. If you find you prefer it a bit thicker just add a little more castile soap.

• Green Mom says:

Putting soap you buy into a different container is not “making” soap. It is repackaging soap. And if you add water – making a toxic bacteria soup which can cause serious injury, illness – even death in the case of flesh eating bacteria or MRSA.

• Dawn Gifford says:

Um, MRSA doesn’t just magically appear in a bottle of diluted castile soap. It requires a vector to become contaminated and the overwhelming majority of people don’t have MRSA floating around their homes.

ALL liquid soaps, including store-bought brands and the “pink soap” in public restrooms and restaurant kitchens can potentially become contaminated with bacteria. If you’re overly worried about this recipe, put a couple drops of grapefruit seed extract or colloidal silver into your mix, or use an essential oil known to kill bacteria.

• I agree with Dawn. I don’t see a major concern especially with added essential oils that are known to kill bacteria. Some essential oils have even been proven to be effective in fighting MRSA (a study conducted by Vanderbilt Uni.).

• Dawn is right on if you’re worried about contamination. I’ve “repackaged” soap for years. Still kickin’!

• Cristin says:

yeah over reaction for sure. MRSA doesn’t work that way. Please research what you are saying before commenting so harshly.

• Diane says:

Do you have evidence of this ever happening? Ever?

• magnoliasouth says:

OMFG! I’m a human nurse with over 23 years experience and I can say that greenmom needs to learn a thing or two before she posts such ridiculous alarmist nonsense. First of all, she clearly is unaware of what castile soap actually is, for if she had known, she wouldn’t have said anything about using soap to make soap. I would just LOVE to address MRSA too, because I have dealt with it time and again. I can assure EVERYONE that you cannot acquire it by using soap. The odds of that are so astronomical that it would be a waste of time to even address any further.

Making soap at home will NOT create a bacteria soup. That is an outright lie and only proves that this girl has no idea about anything.

On behalf of the entire medical field, I want to apologize to Lindsey G. for such drama here.

I love the idea of this and will be happy to not only try it, but if it works as well as I am confident that it will, share the recipes with my patients as well. Cheers!

• Monkey Mama says:

Mostly, it is a cost savings effort (I’m not even going to touch the MRSA hysteria). You pay $3-4+ for foaming soap in the store but use maybe 30-40 cents worth of soap at a stretch doing it yourself, and the store bought stuff is often full of other chemicals and what not.

Doing it this way you make a bottle of liquid soap last a good ten times or more longer in a foaming dispenser. Plus, you also get to scent it however you like. :)

2. Lindsey G. says:

Yes–I think a ceramic dispenser would be fine. As for a non-foaming pump – I haven’t tested that. You could test it and let us know. My gut is telling me it wouldn’t work because it would be too ‘wet’. It would probably shoot out and catch you on your clothes! :)

3. KaliP says:

Where did you get the lid for the jar? I’d love to get my hands (clean) on a couple of those. ;-)

• Lindsey G. says:

The one pictured is one I got on etsy a while back. I couldn’t find it anymore but included a link to what is available on etsy now in the post above.

• KaliP says:

I don’t know how I missed that. Thanks!

• Fern says:

That place I think sells the bottle with the lid and I have the jars. Wish I could just find the lids.

• ST says:

You can make them too! Use the top from an old, empty foaming cleanser, cut a hole in a mason jar lid, use a hot glue gun to adhere. On top and underneath to cover any cut edges so it won’t rust.

4. Laura says:

Thanks for linking to my etsy site! I use the same ratio of castile soap to water in the mason jar soap dispensers I made to use for myself :) It works like a dream to keep the soap from getting gunky and clogged.

5. Jackie says:

Hi Lindsey! Since this recipe has water in it, is there a need for a preservative? I’m new to making my own natural products, although already in love, and am trying to get a handle on when preservatives are required! Thanks for your wonderful site, recipes, and intentions for helping others and making the world a healthier place :)

• Lindsey G. says:

I haven’t seen the need for it! It is soap after all.

• Green Mom says:

“I haven’t seen the need for it! It is soap after all.” Seriously? Soap washes away dirt – why in the WORLD would you think that simply because it is “soap” it would not grow bacteria – potentially TOXIC and life threatening bacteria!

• Dawn Gifford says:

Just relax and add a couple drops of grapefruit seed extract or an essential oil that kills bacteria.

ALL liquid soaps have the potential to be contaminated by bacteria, especially the “pink soap” used in public bathrooms everywhere, doctors offices and restaurants. In fact the pink soap gets contaminated more than any other type because of all those hands touching the dispenser. This is well studied and documented.

But no one is shouting from the rooftops to ban pink soap or ban liquid soap in public restrooms. That’s because the actual incidence of sickness is extremely low.

• Michael S. says:

And the reason the incidence of contamination and sickness is so low is because that “soap” of any kind IS INDEED anti-bacterial by its very nature. Soap acts by changing the surface tension of water, and thus quite easily destroys all living bacteria (this cannot be said to be true for virus or microbes within cysts–which are protective covers of the bacterial cell itself). While viable airborne or waterborne microbes might settle on a dry bar soap or into an open container of liquid soap, the wetting action during use (washing) would destroy the bacterial membrane. There are lots of things to worry about in life–contaminated soap is not one of them.

• Cristin says:

Why do you follow the site if you don’t believe what she post? It is fine and if you are that stressed about soap there are more important issues here :/ just sayin

• QueenCityJulie says:

Why are you so angry? Geez…..lighten up, Greenie.

• Monika says:

You sound like you may have had a bad experience or know someone who has. What would you suggest to us readers to make a safe, non-toxic soap?

6. ky says:

Is there a reason you used unscented castile? I just bought some scented castile this past weekend with intentions of finding a recipe just like this., but want to be sure I’m not missing anything using scented castile and no essential oils. Thanks!

• Lindsey G. says:

I wanted to use essential oils. I have not tried the scented castile soap.

• Diane says:

I’m sure scented soap is fine. You just wouldn’t need to add essential oil for scent, unless you want to.

• Beth says:

I used a scented Dr. Bronners soap and added about half the essential oil, and it came out great. I personally don’t think the scent would be strong enough without adding some essential oils, because you are watering it down so much. Love this recipe!

• Stephanie says:

This link is awesome! I have been looking every where for a reasonable price pump. Thank you for posting!!

• Pam McLoughlin says:

Those don’t look like foaming soap pumps.

• Kate says:

Awww…just tried the link, says it isn’t available any longer :( Oh well…I’m still havin way too much fun! Sittin here with honey all over my face and learnin to make soap…YAY!

7. Kathy says:

Bonner’s Castile soap scented with peppermint seems to use essential oil since it really calms my itchy skin, so I would say you would not need as much oil when you make the soap or maybe none at all.

8. Hi Homemademommy,
    I take your point, Ok. hi every one! i love cappuccinos and the nearest place that makes good cappucinos not that mcdonalds crap. is like an hour away. and me and my family dont visit that often. so i need to learn how to make cappucinno foam.i already no about coffee so u can skip that..

ps i dont have any blenders, electronic mixers or any of those fancy stuff so im saying i want to make them by hand. thank u
    Thx.

9. Green Mom says:

As soon as you add water to a product like soap – it starts to grow potentially hazardous – even life threatening – bacteria. Properly made soaps are formulated to be safe “as is” – either because they contain preservatives or because of their level of salt (soap is chemically salt) or pH or because of the other ingredients such as essential oils. The FDA required them to be tested for safety – but when you craft with them like this all the chemistry is off and they become dangerous unless you also add ingredients most of us using natural products want to avoid – like preservatives.

• Lindsey G. says:

I am not a germophobe. This is why I eat fermented foods. I have been using this soap for 6 months and have never contracted any of these dangerous bacteria you speak of. I am not drinking it after all. :)

• Green Mom says:

And I bet you have never had it tested for bacteria, fungus, viruses or mold spores either, have you? I am not a germophobe either – but I am educated in the safe formulating of products such as soap and this formula is not safe. Just because YOU have not gotten an infection does NOT mean the formula is safe. Drinking it would actually be safer – the stomach acids are far more capable of dealing with bacteria than the surface of the skin.

• Autumn Leaves says:

If Green Mom is that concerned about bacteria warfare in a soap dispenser, don’t make it. Problem solved… smh. Your being a Debbie Downer with all the talk about MRSA and such.Its great we can collectively give feed back and make suggestions to make others aware of how to make products (or “Repackage them” as you not so kindly pointed out)effective and SAFE, but your tone and approach are off putting.

• Cristin says:

Bacteria on the skin is a whole other topic. People with MRSA and that have constant staph infections really need a change in diet/probiotics not to stress about their soap.
            If you are continuing to get infections there are other issues going on and ruling things in or out with a health care professional is a better option than telling people they are crazy for making their own soap with water.

• Diane says:

I have been mixing my Dr. Bronner’s liquid castille soap with water, half & half, for years. It’s what we use in the shower and for hand soap at the bathroom sink. I also use it to wash my hands before and after each client I see. You’re talking like a germophobe, even tho you claim you’re not.

• Lindsay's Mom says:

GreenMom is looking for the government to tell her that her soap is safe. lol. While your at it…ask the FDA why they allow GMO’s in our food. Hmmmmm.

• Beth says:

I don’t see any warning on the soap that says not to water it down. That is all this recipe is doing. FDA-approved Antibacterial soaps and gels, as well as other cleaners have contributed much more to the spread of MRSA than homemade soaps by killing the body’s natural defenses, and contributing to new strains of bacteria that are more and more resistant.

10. Candra M. says:

Green Mom, I think your intent to protect others is commendable; however, people usually cup their hands over their ears when addressed in such a rude & condescending manner. Lighten up on people. Everyone is just trying to do what they can to escape the poisons being pushed at us everyday. Your efforts would go a long way with kindness. My family has actually dealt with infections, illness of all sorts, and has received more healing and success with the recommendations of real people healing their families through trial & error than any company trying to make a buck. Therefore, don’t be so crude. Offer your advice as if you really want to help someone, not to just be a know-it-all who’s out to police the homemade soap making newbies.

• Mom2twingles says:

Well said Chandra M.!! I’ve been making many of my own products for a year now, and we’ve faced no adverse side effects. One could use purified water, add in a known antibacterial EO -tea tree is another great one, and even sanitize your soap container all in an effort to reduce potential contamination. I’ve been re-using a plastic foaming soap container and just rinse it with tap water before I add my next batch (the horrors, I know). ‘Regular’ soap itself, be it liquid, bar or foam, does not kill germs (unless it’s the nasty antibacterial kind, which I assume we’re trying to avoid here!), it just makes the surface slippery so that the ‘germs’ get washed away with the water. I do not add anything beside peppermint or lavender Castile soap (yup, scented works just fine), water and, a bit of Vit. E oil since it is a natural preservative. That is another thing that can be added if there are concerns about making homemade products. I add it to all my lotions, body washes and facial cleansers, and so far have had no issues….Hmmmm, for my next project, I may get some Agar plates and test my products since I’m a Virologist turned stay at home mom whose dealt with bacteria too!

• Mom2twingles says:

Sorry, that should have been ‘Candra’….

• SouthRed says:

I have been re-using an old foaming soap container for months now. I was getting bacterial UTI infections until I started using the Castile/water/tea tree oil soap in the shower rather than store bought. I haven’t had one in 8 months now. I usually use filtered water, but have on at least one occasion used tap water.

• Cathy says:

EXACTLY!!!!!

11. Ioanna says:

Add 1tsp of citric acid or some potassium sorbate to your water and will keep your water preserved longer or as mentioned above by others.
    Castile is a preservative in itself so add filtered or purified water to your mix. If mixing with water you can just do max 50/50 ratio and keep it for max 1month without the preservative.

12. Syrita Barbera says:

Some r so worried about bacteria and such. You drink your water don’t you?? There is so much chlorination in water today,how could it possibly grow anything. Plus what about the bars of soap we used to use, there was no such thing as Mesa than. Don’t live in a bubble, life is too short.

13. Jason says:

Green Mom your voice is worth listening to, just ease up on the obnoxious factor and have a productive conversation.

14. […] to make homemade foaming hand soap at Homemade […]

15. […] didn’t even know you could make homemade foaming hand soap but I do […]

16. Cait says:

I do basically the same thing, but much less castile soap works for me, so it goes even further! About a tablespoon or one big squirt and then filling the rest with water. I leave out the additional oils to save money, but it would certainly be luxurious.

17. […] Homemade Foaming Hand Soap […]

18. […] the jar with an all-natural foaming hand-soap (check out this all-natural homemade foaming hand-soap from Homemade Mommy) and screw the lid onto the […]

19. […] Easy Homemade Foaming Hand Soap […]

20. Jennifer says:

I used to make my own baby wipes solution, and I remember reading that tea tree oil has natural anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties and was recommended to be used. That would solve the problem…

21. Yvette says:

I soak lemon peel in water for a week or so and then add Castile soap to that.

22. Jenn P says:

That Castile soap on Amazon is pretty expensive. How long does it usually last you?

• Sarah says:

I’ve had the larger bottle of Dr. Bronner’s and it’s lasted about 6 months so far…you need far less than you think.
      (Not the gallon size)

• Kate says:

Jenn…I saw a slightly different recipe for this using the castile bar soap. It says to grate it and melt it in simmering water, then let it sit overnight. A bar of the unscented castile soap is $1.82 at WalMart :)

23. […] (♥) We make our own foaming hand soap; which is not only cost-effective, but you can control the ingredients! Homemade Mommy has a great how-to on how to make homemade foaming hand soap. […]

24. […] Homemade Mommy teaches us how to make homemade foaming soap. […]

25. Sarah says:

If anyone is concerned about contaminating their soap, do you think using boiled water would help? Or the high pH water (ie. Kangan)?
    It would be interesting to see some documentation on that.

26. Sarah says:

My husband works for a soap manufacturer and he said they sell soap in several forms, one is a concentrate you can mix with water…he says you have to use purified water (or another pure form of water), not out of the garden hose etc.
    For the hand soap dispensers in public restrooms they highly suggest using the closed “pouch” system. He also said that soap by its very nature is resistant to bacteria if properly handled.

So, if you’re making a foaming soap at home, use clean containers, clean pure water, and wash your hands! Ha ha.

Great article btw.

27. LoveTulips says:

I just made my own Mason Jar foaming soap bottle, as well as some soap using Dr. Bronner’s liquid peppermint soap. I poured filtered water into a pyrex glass measuring cup and boiled the water in the microwave for several minutes. I let it cool a bit, then mixed the soap and water inside the madon jar. I let it cool a bit further before closing it up and putting it on the sink.

I have one question though…should I add any glycerin to give it a little moisturization? My hands feel a little dry after 2 uses already. Thanks!

28. […] Easy homemade hand soap recipe- The “homemade mommy” shares a quick and easy recipe for DIY hand soap on her site. […]

29. […] Wash hands not with antibacterial soap but with easy homemade soap […]

30. […] am a huge fan of Thieves Oil. I love that I can use it in everything from homemade foaming hand soap to bug repellent bars and even internally (I drop some into a gel capsule) to fight colds! Powerful […]

31. […] Easy Homemade Foaming Hand Soap from Homemade Mommy […]

32. […] Foaming Hand Soap by Homemade Mommy: castile soap, filtered water, essential […]

33. A says:

I wanted to make these for Christmas this coming year to put with other homemade items in a basket. How long will these last if I were to make them ahead of time? Should I make them very close to Christmas and tell folks that they need to use them within a certain amount of time? And they same goes with the homemade sanitizer and disinfectant.
    Thanks you.

34. […] You can make your own, like this non-toxic all-purpose cleaner for household cleaning or this easy foaming hand soap for personal hand and body care. If making your own isn’t your forte, this is the only […]

35. Evie Dawson says:

We should really depend on when it comes to skin care. Commercial soaps are full of chemicals and don’t even compare when to comes to natural soap.

36. HaleyMarie says:

I “make” this soap and I love it! I boil my water with oats in them, then drain the water. The water then has the soothing effect from the oats. I use lavender essential oil and it makes a lovely smell.

37. Kathy says:

How much vitamin E would you add to this recipe? I love the idea of a little extra moisturizer.

38. ashley says:

I tried this recipe for foaming handsoap. My essential oils are not mixing with the water. I expected this to happen since oils dont mix with water. Now I have a clear foaming bottle with essential oil floating on top. Any suggestions???

39. […] I use this as the prime ingredient in my homemade foaming hand soap and in my toothpaste. I rub this on the bottoms of our feet and on our spines when we are fighting […]

40. Thank you so much for including the Etsy shop with the foaming soap dispensers! This was EXACTLY what I was looking for!

41. […] my own foaming hand soap sounds super easy and very economical!  Now I just need those foaming […]

42. kim says:

Is it ok to use this in a plastic container? (I know, plastics can be toxic.) Just looking for something that won’t break with little boys in the house. Thanks! Keep the great ideas coming!

43. Shiv Sharma says:

I am couple reader of your blog…This post is awesome….easy home-made preparation….Thanks for these tips ……helpful blog…I like it….