This whiny bug calming rub with magnesium will help calm your whiny beasts before bedtime and give them the magnesium they need at the same time! I know that virtually all of us are deficient in magnesium and have tried multiple methods of magnesium supplementation without really moving any of them to a habitual state. The reason why is the following:
- Oral supplement – Loose stools. Oral magnesium supplements can run right through you causing loose stools. This is not something I wanted to give to my daughter and husband when introducing them to magnesium! You have to get the dose just right and frankly it is hard to get enough without causing the loose stool issue.
- Magnesium oil – Prickly and itchy skin and not enough magnesium per application. Magnesium oil is easy to make (just add a full bag of magnesium flakes to 2 cups of warm water), but I must have super sensitive skin because it feels very prickly and itchy when I put it on. My daughter hated when I applied magnesium oil to her skin as well. Another issue with magnesium oil is that as a general rule of thumb, an appropriate daily intake of magnesium should be approximately 3-4 mg per pound of body weight. For example, a 150lb female would need from 450mg to 600mg per day. A 40 pound preschooler would need between 120mg and 160mg. Women who are pregnant or lactating also have elevated magnesium requirements (FYI ladies, this can help prevent morning sickness!). One teaspoon of magnesium oil contains 560mg of elemental magnesium. 8 sprays of magnesium oil only provides approximately 100mg of elemental magnesium on the skin. Your body will absorb only what it needs. By my calculations, I would need to spray 40 times a day to get what I needed daily and spray another 10 times on my daughter. This has not been possible in my household! Has it worked in yours? I didn’t think so.
So how do we get enough magnesium without these issues?
I have been giving my daughter epsom salt baths every night which is great. But to give her an added magnesium boost and add a nice ritual to our bedtime routine, I decided to make a whiny bug calming rub with magnesium to rub on her feet and neck. Her favorite bedtime essential oil is Peace & Calming, and so is mine, so I used this blend. If you enjoy Lavender before bed, you can substitute that as well.
Whiny Bug Calming Rub with Magnesium!
This recipe makes about 1 cup of calming rub. A tsp of this rub should provide approximately 150-200mg of elemental magnesium. For a small child this is enough. For a 150lb adult female, apply 3-4 times daily and you will get enough!
- 1/2 cup of shea butter
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup of magnesium oil
- 50 drops Peace & Calming essential oil (where to buy)
Gently warm the shea butter with the coconut oil by placing them in a glass bowl set over a pot of simmering water (or you can use a double boiler). Once they are melted and incorporated, remove the bowl from the heat and allow to cool a bit. Once it starts to set (about 20-30 minutes later), scoop the mixture into a stand mixeror hand mixer and whip it until incorporated. Slowly pour in the magnesium oil and essential oils. Turn up the speed gradually until you have a nice whipped rub.
Scoop the mixture into airtight glass jars and store away from direct sunlight. Use nightly before bed by rubbing on the feet, forearms and neck. Breathe in the peace and calming and feel it relax your whole body!
Love this recipe?
Pin it here!
Further Reading from Around the Web
- Attend one of my Essential Oils 101 classes here!
- 5 Uses for Peace & Calming Essential Oil
- Everyday Essential Oils: Peace & Calming
- How To Buy Therapeutic Essential Oils
- 50 Uses For Essential Oils
More Essential Oil recipes here!
- DIY Peppermint Muscle Balm
- Homemade Non-Toxic Vapor Rub
- DIY Roll-On Perfume
- Essential Oils for Kids and Families